Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Glimpse into the possible future

Ok, I told you I wanted to share with you about a young lady we meet at the hospital.  Doug first spotted her while we were waiting for Sarah to go to surgery.  She came into the room we were in and began cleaning the area across from us.  Doug got my attention and said "She has down syndrome.  Look at her.  She must work here, everyone is calling her by name."  I got a glimpse of her and then they arrived to get Sarah so I lost her.  As we were in post-op waiting on Sarah's room, I spotted her and commented to Doug, "there is that girl we saw earlier.  She does have down syndrome.  Wow, she works here."  The nurse over heard us talking about us and told us that she does have down syndrome.  She is a hard worker and takes her job very seriously.  She asked if the lady could talk to us, she stated that she loves to talk to families of children with down syndrome.  "J" came right over and introduced herself and began talking.  She was very articulate.  I understood about 90% of what she said.  She had wonderful manners.  She was 24 years old, the oldest of 5.  She graduated high school and has a boyfriend.  She use to date another boy with down syndrome that just got married to a young lady with down syndrome this summer.  They are all friends and she plans on getting married too.  She works until 2:30 and then her mother picks her up.  Her brother is graduating school this year and they are going to have a big party.  After talking to us for about 15-20 minutes she then adds "I have down syndrome like your baby."  She lives a normal life and is "normal", so normal that she tells us she has down syndrome as an after thought.  This is what I want for Sarah.  To live her life as anyone else and the down syndrome to be an after thought.  I want her to have a rich fulfilling life.  I want her to experience life to the fullest.  To reach her potential and to be happy.  "J" stated as she was leaving to Sarah, "Sarah you are my new best baby friend."  I was crying by this point.  I so wanted to hug her and thank her for being herself.  I did not, I did not want her to think I was belittling her.  What a blessing this young lady is.  She is using her down syndrome to bless those of us who have small children with down syndrome.  What a testimony.  I thank God for him bring her into our lives and showing me that Sarah was created for a special calling in life and he was going to bless her and others  are and will be bless by knowing Sarah.  Praise God for his faithfulness.page5 (2) I have begun working on our profile book for our adoption of a little blessing.  This is Sarah's page so far.  What do you think?

Posted on by Oily Special Momma | No comments

0 friends said: